University of Athens, Greece
Research Interest: Drug Design, Phytochemistry,
Medicinal chemistry and Analytical Chemistry.
Research Interest: "Organometallic: Transition Metal-catalyzed Nitrogenation of Hydrocarbons; edicinal Inorganic Chemistry: Ruthenium-based Metallopharmaceuticals; Renewable Biomass Energy: Metal-catalyzed Conversion of Cellulosic Biomass for fuels and value-added chemicals"
Research Interest: Food Processing, health food and cosmetics, Research of Chinese herbal medicine research, Agricultural biotechnology, Supercritical fluid, and Mycology
Research Interest: Exploration of
continuous-fiber-reinforced resin materials for engineering applications,
development of biomimetic nanomaterials for bone regeneration and oncology.
Research Interest: Enzymology; Biocatalysis in
Organic Solvent; Protein Biochemistry.
Research Interest: General analytical chemistry;
Pharmaceutical, pharmacological and forensic analytical chemistry;
Environmental analytical chemistry.
Research Interest: Natural Products Chemistry,
Polymer Chemistry,Environment & Health,Medicinal Chemistry.
IR. DR. LAI CHIN WEI is a senior lecturer in the Nanotechnology & Catalysis Research Centre, University of Malaya. He received his Ph.D (2013) from School of Materials and Mineral Resources Engineering, University of Science Malaysia in nanomaterials and nanoscience. Lai’s main research interests are in the areas of chemically modified metal oxide photocatalysts and carbon graphene materials, especially apply in environmental pollution management and solar energy technology. Lai has contributed immensely to the development and enhancement in science & technology in Malaysia, particularly in developing, optimizing and simplifying the technology lies in the synthesis of nanoparticles, metal oxide nano-architecture and carbon/graphene materials which are of high significance for green energy and environment applications. Lai’s works have been published in more than 120 refereed international top-tier journals with h-index of 18 and 100 international proceedings in materials science, physics, chemistry, and renewable energy researches. In all, Lai has reviewed more than 200 papers in the past few years, mainly for top international journals and conferences. Since 2013, his research has been funded by the Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia, MOHE (FRGS, HIR-MOHE); Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation of Malaysia, MOSTI (E-Science fund, National Nanotechnology Development), and internal University funding (University of Malaya Research Grant). Being a reputable researcher, his enthusiasm and dedication towards research work, Lai has won several prestigious university, national and international awards in exposition on research innovation, invention & solution. In addition, he successfully awarded “Certificate of Excellent Service UM” for his excellent contribution and service in the year of 2013, 2014 and 2015. Through his work nanomaterials and catalysis field, Lai was awarded the University of Malaya Excellence Awards in the category of outstanding researcher- UM Young Researcher (Sciences Discipline) and selected to be a member of the Young Scientist Network – Academy of Sciences Malaysia (YSN-ASM) in 2015. Lately, Lai was awarded as Finalists National Young Scientist Award 2018 by Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation of Malaysia and won Mass Young Researcher Award 2018 by Malaysian Solid State Science & Technology Society, Malaysia. On professional qualifications, Lai registered as a Professional Engineer (PEng) in Material Engineering discipline with the Board of Engineers, Malaysia (BEM) and registered as a Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the Engineering Council, UK in 2017. Lai is an active member in The Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM, MAL), Energy Institute (EI, UK) and Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE, UK). He is recognised as among the calibre and outstanding young scientists in the country who have the potential of advancing the scientific ecosystem in Malaysia.
Coal Energy Technology (Graphene-based catalysts; Cellulose; Carbon-based catalysts; Carbon nanotubes) Semiconductor Materials (Titanium Dioxide, Tungsten Trioxide, Zinc Oxide, Copper Oxide, Iron Oxide) Nano Materials (Nano-tubes, Nano-rods, Nano-particles, Nano-wires) Solar Energy Technology (Hydrogen Fuel Cell, Photoelectrochemical Cell, Photovoltaic Cell, Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell) Waste Management (Environmental Pollution Management) Composite Materials (Photocatalyst, Metal Oxides, Hybrid Materials, Advanced Materials)
List of Publications:
1. Foo Wah Low, Chin Wei Lai, Christelle Pau Ping Wong, Carbonaceous Composite Materials: Chapter 1: Graphene and Graphene/TiO2 Nanocomposites for Renewable Dye Sensitized Solar Cells, Book ISBN: 9781945291975-1, Publisher: Materials Research Forum LLC, USA [DOI: 10.21741/9781945291975-1].
2. Chin Wei Lai, Kian Mun Lee, Bey Fen Leo, Christelle Pau Ping Wong and Soon Weng Chong, Polymeric Materials for Clean Water: Chapter 7: Polymers as Water Disinfectants, Book ISBN: 978-3-030-00742-3, Publisher: Springer Nature Switzerland AG. [DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-00743-0_7].
3. Swe Jyan Teh, Tong Ling Tan, Chin Wei Lai and Kian Mun Lee, (2018), Carbon Nanotubes for Clean Water: Chapter 5: Catalysis, Book ISBN: 978-3-319-95602-2, Publisher: Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature. [DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-95603-9_5].
4. Swe Jyan Teh, Chin Wei Lai, (2018), Applications of Nanocomposite Materials in Dentistry: Chapter 5: Carbon nanotubes for dental implants, Book ISBN 978-0128137420 , Publisher: Woodhead Publishing Elsevier; 1 edition, Oxford, UK, [DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-813742-0.00005-5].
5. Chin Fei Chee, Bey Fen Leo, Chin Wei Lai, (2018), Applications of Nanocomposite Materials in Drug Delivery: Chapter 37: Superparamagnetic nanoparticles for drug delivery, Book ISBN 978-0128137413, Publisher: Woodhead Publishing Elsevier; 1 edition, Oxford, UK, [DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-813741-3.00038-8].
6. Nur Azimah Abd Samad, Kung Shiuh Lau, Chin Wei Lai, (2018), Innovations in Engineered Porous Materials for Energy Generation and Storage Applications: Chapter 11: Wide Band Gap Nano-Semiconductors For Solar Driven Hydrogen Generation, Book ISBN: 978-1-13-873902-4, Publisher: CRC Press/Taylor & Francis Group, The USA.
7. Christelle Pau Ping Wong, Chin Wei Lai, Joon Ching Juan, (2018), Electrochemical Capacitors: Theory, Materials and Applications; Chapter 7: Hydrothermal Synthesis of Supercapacitors Electrode Materials, Book ISBN 978-1-945291-56-2, Publisher: Materials Research Forum LLC, The USA. [DOI: 10.21741/9781945291579].
8. Chin Wei Lai, (2018), Nano Hybrids and Composites Vol. 20: Chapter 1: WO3-TiO2 Nanocomposite and its Applications: A Review, Book ISBN 978-3-0357-1256-8, Publisher:Trans Tech Publications Inc.,Switzerland. [DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/NHC.20]
9. Chin Wei Lai, Kian Mun Lee, Joon Ching Juan, (2017), Nanocomposites for Visible Light-Induced Photocatalysis; Chapter 7: Polymeric Nanocomposites for Visible Light-Induced Photocatalysis, Book ISBN 978-3-319-62446-4, Publisher: Springer International Publishing, UK. [DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-62446-4].
10. Izazi Azzahidah Amin, Joon Ching Juan, Chin Wei Lai, (2017), Organic-Inorganic Composite Polymer Electrolyte Membranes: Chapter 12: An Overview of Chemical and Mechanical Stabilities of Polymer Electrolytes Membrane, pp. 327-340, Book ISBN: 978-3-319-52738-3, Publisher: Springer International Publishing, UK. [DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-52739-0-12].
11. Chin Wei Lai, Sharifah Bee Abd. Hamid, (2016), Renewable Energy and Sustainable Developments: Chapter 8: A mini review on titanium dioxide photocatalyst: nano-crystalline and nano-tubular systems in solar-driven water electrolysis application, pp. 291-311, ISBN: 978-1-938681-70-7; Publisher: Scientific & Academic P Publishing, USA.
12. Chin Wei Lai, Kung Shiuh Lau, An Advanced Hybrid Nanocomposite Film and Its Photocatalytic Water Electrolysis Response, International Journal of Nanoelectronics and Materials, Accepted, (2018). (SCOPUS-Indexed)
13. Foo Wah Low, Chin Wei Lai, Reduced graphene oxide decorated TiO2 for improving dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSCs), Current Nanoscience, Accepted, (2018), DOI: 10.2174/1573413714666180724113106. (ISI-Indexed)
14. Chin Wei Lai, Kung Shiuh Lau, Pui May Chou, Controlled synthesis of well-aligned and highly ordered TiO2 nanotubes without bundling for enhanced solar-powered photoelectrochemical responses, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Accepted, (2018). (ISI-Indexed)
15. Chin Wei Lai, Kung Shiuh Lau, Pui May Chou, CdSe/TiO2 Nanotubes for enhanced photoelectrochemical activity under solar illumination: Influence of soaking time in CdSe bath solution, Chemical Physics Letters, Accepted, (2018). DOI: 10.1016/j.cplett.2018.10.054 (ISI-Indexed)
16. Xin Hui Yau, Cheng Seong Khe, Mohamed Shuaib Mohamed Saheed, Chin Wei Lai, Effect on the Formation of Magnetite Reduced Graphene Oxide with Controlled Stirring Duration, MATEC Web of Conferences, 202, Article Number: 01003, (2018). (SCOPUS-Indexed)
17. Tong Ling Tan, Chin Wei Lai, Sok Lai Hong, Suraya Abdul Rashid, New insights into the photocatalytic endocrine disruptors dimethyl phathalate esters degradation by UV/MWCNTs-TiO2 nanocomposites, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, 364, pp. 177-189, (2018). (ISI-Indexed)
18. Syazwan Hanani Meriam Suhaimy, Chin Wei Lai, Hairul Anuar Tajuddin, Emy Marlina Samsudin, Mohd Rafie Johan, Impact of TiO2 nanotubes’ morphology on the photocatalytic degradation of simazine pollutant, Materials, 11, pp. 2066-2081, (2018). (ISI-Indexed)
19. Ru Bin Lee, Joon Ching Juan, Chin Wei Lai, Kian Mun Lee, The relationship between iron and Ilmenite for photocatalyst degradation. Advanced Powder Technology, 29(8), pp. 1779-1786, (2018). (ISI-Indexed)
20. Bao Lee Phoon, Chin Wei Lai, Guan-Ting Pan, Thomas C.-K. Yang, Joon Ching Juan, One-pot hydrothermal synthesis of strontium titanate nanoparticles photoelectrode using electrophoretic deposition for enhancing photoelectrochemical water splitting, Ceramics International, 44(8), pp. 9923-9933, (2018). (ISI-Indexed)
21. Kian Mun Lee, Chin Wei Lai, Joon Ching Juan, Stability of custom-designed photoreactor for photocatalytic degradation of reactive black 5 dye using zinc oxide, Corrosion Engineering, Science and Technology, 53(7), pp. 462-467, (2018). (ISI-Indexed)
Hamed received his PhD in mechanical engineering on a collaborative project between the University of Limerick, Imperial College London and Helmholtz-Zentrüm Berlin, titled "Effect of prior deformation on creep behaviour of AISI 316H austenitic stainless steels" funded by Science Foundation Ireland and EDF (formerly British Energy Ltd.).
He worked at the Irish Centre for Composites Research as lecturer in Finite Element Analysis and Aircraft Structures, and as a post-doctoral researcher on three consecutive industrial-oriented projects on composites materials, MAAXIMUS project funded through EU FP7 grant agreement nº213371 led by Airbus (www.maaximus.eu), Design of Optimised Composites for Impact Applications (OPTCOM) project funded by Enterprise Ireland (grant CF/2013/3012B), and the Science Foundation Ireland funded FALCOM project (www.falcom.ie) on a novel adhesively bonded joining technology.
• Computing, Simulation & Modelling
• Manufacturing of Functional Materials
• Aerospace Materials
• Renewable Energy
• Smart Materials
• Structures and Materials
List of Publications:
1. Deane, S, Avdelidis HP, Ibarra-Castanedo C, Zhang H, Yazdani Nezhad H, Williamson AA, Mackley T, Davis MJ, Maldague X & Tsourdos A (2019) Application of NDT thermographic imaging of aerospace structures, Infrared Physics and Technology, 97 (March) 456-466.
2. Liu Y, Zhang X, Lemanski S, Yazdani Nezhad H & Ayre D (2019) Experimental and numerical study of process-induced defects and their effect on fatigue debonding in composite joints, International Journal of Fatigue, 125 (August) 47-57.
3. Sirikham A, Zhao Y, Yazdani Nezhad H, Du W & Roy R (2019) Estimation of damage thickness in fiber-reinforced composites using pulsed thermography, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 15 (1) Article No. TII-18-2286 445-453.
4. Yazdani Nezhad H,Stratakis D, Ayre D, Addepalli S & Zhao Y (2018) Mechanical performance of composite bonded joints in the presence of localised process-induced zero-thickness defects, Procedia Manufacturing, 16 91-98.
5. Lotfian S, Giraudmaillet C, Yoosefinejad A, Thakur VJ & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) Electrospun piezoelectric polymer nanofiber layers for enabling in situ measurement in high-performance composite laminates, ACS Omega, 3 (8) 8891-8902.
6. Mgbemena CO, Li D, Lin MF, Liddel PD, Katnam KB, Kumar VT & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) Accelerated microwave curing of fibre-reinforced thermoset polymer composites for structural applications: A review of scientific challenges, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 115 (December) 88-103.
7. Yazdani Nezhad H & Thakur VJ (2018) Effect of morphological changes due to increasing carbon nanoparticles content on the quasi-static mechanical response of epoxy resin, Polymers, 10 (10) Article No. 1106.
8. Liu Y, Lemanski S, Zhang X, Ayre D & Yazdani Nezhad H (2018) A finite element study of fatigue crack propagation in single lap bonded joint with process-induced disbond, International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, Early online.
9. Yazdani Nezhad H, Egan B, Merwick F & McCarthy CT (2017) Bearing damage characteristics of fibre-reinforced countersunk composite bolted joints subjected to quasi-static shear loading, Composite Structures, 166 (April) 184-192.
10. Bhanushali R, Ayre D & Yazdani Nezhad H (2017) Tensile response of adhesively bonded composite-to-composite single-lap joints in the presence of bond deficiency, Procedia CIRP, 59 139-143.
11. Yazdani Nezhad H, Zhao Y, Liddel PD, Marchante VR & Roy R (2017) A novel process-linked assembly failure model for adhesively bonded composite structures, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 66 (1) 29-32. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4681009
12. Yazdani Nezhad H & O'Dowd N (2015) Creep relaxation in the presence of residual stress, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 138 250-264.
13. Zhou Y, Yazdani Nezhad H, Hou C, Wan X, McCarthy C & McCarthy M (2015) A three dimensional implicit finite element damage model and its application to single-lap multi-bolt composite joints with variable clearance, Composite Structures, 131 1060-1072.
14. Yazdani Nezhad H, Merwick F, Frizzell R & McCarthy C (2014) Numerical analysis of low-velocity rigid-body impact response of composite panels, International Journal of Crashworthiness, 20 (1) 27-43.
15. Zhou Y, Yazdani-Nezhad H, McCarthy M, Wan X & McCarthy C (2014) A study of intra-laminar damage in double-lap, multi-bolt, composite joints with variable clearance using continuum damage mechanics, Composite Structures, 116 441-452.
16. Yazdani Nezhad H & O'Dowd NP (2012) Study of creep relaxation under combined mechanical and residual stresses, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 93 132-152.
Research Interest: Organic chemistry, molecular imaging and bioorganic chemistry, including organofluorine chemistry, asymmetric synthesis and catalysis, and the relevant mechanistic studies using various physical organic chemistry tools, molecular imaging, PET/Fluorescence/MRI multi modality imaging, inhibited tumor growth suppresion, and nanoparticle assembled drug delivery
My specific research interests are synthetic methodology development, total synthesis, medicinal chemistry, natural product isolation and derivatization, proteomics, drug discovery and development, translational oncology
Research Interest: Organic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, natural products, translational oncology, proteomics.
Christoforos G. Kokotos is an Assistant Professor of Organic Chemistry at the Department of Chemistry, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece, with undergraduate studies at the University of Athens, PhD studies at the University of Bristol, UK (Prof. Varinder Aggarwal) and post-doctoral studies at Princeton University, USA (Prof. David W. C. MacMillan). His research interests focus on the development of novel asymmetric organocatalytic methodologies, green and sustainable organocatalytic oxidations, Photocatalysis, their application in the synthesis of pharmaceuticals, compounds of biological importance and natural products and the study of the mechanisms of organic transformations employing modern techniques, like HRMS. He is co-author of 71 peer-reviewed papers, 4 book chapters, 2 patents, >40 presentations in conferences. He is the recipient of prestigious awards, like the Hildergard-Zervas Award, Academy of Athens (2016 and 2018), JSP fellowship for the Burgenstock Conference (2016), Young Investigators Workshop (3 times representing Greece, 2014, 2017 and 2018) and ACS Young Academic Investigators Award (2014, representing Europe).
Research Interest: Organic Chemistry, Food Chemistry, Green Chemistry
Grants: (1) Research Funding Scheme Post-doc, “PEPCAT-Novel Organocatalysts Based on Peptides and Amino Acids and their Application in Asymmetric Organic Transformations”, General Secretariat for Research and Development (2012-2015, 150.000 €).
(2) Organocatalysis – ORCA, Cost Action CM0905 funded by the intergovernmental framework for European Cooperation in Science and technology (2011-2014), Management Committee Substitute and co-Organizer of the third ORCA meeting in Athens, 2012. Action Chair: Prof. P. Pihko, University of Jyvskyl, Finland.
(3) Research Proposal Funding Scheme, John Latsis Foundation “PhotoOrganocatalysis: Development of new environmentally-friendly methods for the synthesis of compounds for the pharmaceutical and chemical industry” (2015, 12.000€).
(4) C-H Activation in Organic Synthesis – CHAOS, Cost Action CM15106 funded by the intergovernmental framework for European Cooperation in Science and technology (2016-2020), Management Committee Substitute. Action Chair: Prof. M. Schnurch, Technical University of Vienna, Austria.
(5) Fellowship for PhD programme, Ms Errika Voutyritsa, State Scholarships Foundation (IKY), 2016.
(6) Fellowship for PhD programme, Ms Ierasia Triandafillidi, Hellenic Foundation for Research and Innovation (ELIDEK), 2017.
(7) Fellowship for PhD programme, Mr Nikolaos Nikitas, State Scholarships Foundation, 2018.
(8) European Network on Pseudomyxoma Peritonei – PMP, Cost Action CA17101 funded by the intergovernmental framework for European Cooperation in Science and technology (2019-2023), Management Committee Member. Action Chair: Prof. Kjersti Flatmark, Oslo University Hospital, Norway.
(9) Chemobrionics, Cost Action CA17120 funded by the intergovernmental framework for European Cooperation in Science and technology (2019-2023), Management Committee Member. Action Chair: Prof. Julyan Cartwright, CSIC Granada, Spain.
(10) Fellowship for PhD programme, Ms Nikoleta Spiliopoulou, Hellenic Foundation for Research and Innovation (ELIDEK), 2019.
(11) Research Funding Scheme Teams of Young Investigators, “Green and Sustainable Organocatalysis: Novel Epoxidation reactions and their application in Chemical Industry”, General Secretariat for Research and Development (2019-2021, 50.000 €).